Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cafe, Kuchen, Hair, and Quadbikes

This afternoon, I strolled back into Swakopmund and found a nice cafe and had a coffee and some wonderful cake.  The cafe was relaxed and it was nice to sit on the side of the road and just watch life pass by for a few minutes.



 After the coffee, I walked over to that German monument I found earlier and found three guys trying to sell me more carved nuts.  I told them I didn't want to buy a nut but asked if they knew what that monument was behind them.  They said it was a monument to the german war dead against the Herero a long time ago.  I asked if they liked it or felt threatened by it in any way.  They said that since independence everyone in Namibia is equal and that this monument is part of the past.  It doesn't impact them today or change how they feel as people in the future.  Nice

Then I went to a hair salon and had a nice haircut.  Got a shampoo and scalp massage and a great buzz cut on the sides.  Here is the before and after, with the beard still growing.


I look much younger, no?  And to prove I felt younger, I went quad biking in the Namibian desert for 90 minutes.  And it was amazing!!!!


Along the way we found this desert Chameleon, who was not too pleased to be picked up and handled.  He turned black as an indication of his anger, but we enjoyed it.



Later, we stopped on top of the dunes to take photos. 




 The wind was blowing about 40mph, but the vistas were so wonderful.  We could see the ocean in the distance, and the late afternoon sun gave us some nice shadows across the blowing sand dunes. 

Am now going out to dinner and will try to do some kayaking with the seals tomorrow.  Am super glad I am staying three nights in Swakopmund, which is turning out to be far better than expected.  An excellent midpoint in the trip.




2 comments: