Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Scorpions

I had a wonderful dinner with three guests here at Dolomite Camp in Western Etosha. Anton and Tina have been driving from London across West Africa since Five months and had great stories to tell.  Anton has a prosthetic below one knee and played paralympic volleyball for the UK in the summer Olympics. Sandy is a retired school teacher who lived in Namibia for 6 years helping the school system improve.

The food was excellent and we talked until 10:30. Got back to the room and played with photos and settled into bed at 11:45. At 12 the generator was shut off and the lights went black. As I fell asleep, I felt a strange crawling sensation on my hand and jumped up in bed. Felt like a crab, and then I felt the pain. Got stung by what must have been a small scorpion just on my finger below the nail.

It was pitch black and there was  scorpion in my room. My hand swelled up like a wasp sting, and it hurt up my forearm. I had read that the stings are not deadly and did not panic. Found a head lamp and called the house manager who came and got me a new room. Still can feel the sting today 

No comments:

Post a Comment